Volunteer Opportunities with the Gus Bus
There are many different ways to contribute and help with the Gus Bus!
Help out on the Gus Bus at our neighborhood stops:
- Work with students in neighborhoods throughout Harrisonburg City, Rockingham and Page County. Students visit the Gus Bus weekly to check-in/out books, practice reading, hear stories, complete literacy activities, and receive food bags. Volunteers will assist our literacy specialists on the Gus Bus.
Afterschool Enrichment Programs:
- Through the 21st Century Learning Grant our program offers afterschool enrichment classes at local elementary schools. Volunteers will assist instructors with weekly lesson plans and activities, in addition to homework help.
- We strive to pair program participants with an in-home tutor throughout the course of the school year to assist them with homework in their home during the evenings. This opportunity requires a yearlong commitment from tutors, as well as some additional training.
- The Gus Bus attends many community events. As a volunteer you may receive emails inviting you to participate at an upcoming event. Volunteers are assigned to events on a first come, first serve basis. Events are a great way to earn additional volunteer hours, and to engage with the local community.
Family Literacy Nights:
- During the Fall and Spring semesters we host two Family Literacy Night events. For these events to run smoothly we rely on support from our volunteers. All volunteers will be invited to assist, although we only have space for 15-20 volunteers per event.
Food Bag Preparation:
- Through our partnership with the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank we are able to offer healthy snacks and food items to Gus Bus participants at weekly stops. Volunteers can assist with preparing food bags right here at Blue Ridge Hall between the hours of 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. If you are in need of additional volunteer hours, and are interested in helping out with food bags, please email us at email@example.com.
Interested in learning more about the Gus Bus program and volunteering opportunities? We are currently looking for volunteers to help on the Gus Bus at neighborhood stops, during our afterschool programming at two local elementary schools, and work as a tutor with elementary aged students. Contact the Gus Bus at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!